|Petrović, Bojan, Ph.D., Professor
Year of Birth: 1955
Department of Power Systems
International Member of the Academy (admitted 2017)
Degrees: B.Sc. Mathematics, University of Zagreb (1979) Ph.D. Nuclear Engineering,
Penn State University (1995)
Affiliation: Professor of Nuclear & Radiological Engineering Georgia Institute of Technology,
Atlanta, GA 30332-0745, USA
Phone: (+1) 404-894-8173; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research fields: Reactor Physics, Particle Transport Theory, Radiation Shielding, Advanced Reactors Design, Numerical Simulations of Nuclear Systems
|Selected representative publications:
1. B. Petrović and A. Haghighat, “Analysis of Inherent Oscillations in Multidimensional SN Solutions of the Neutron Transport Equation,” Nuclear Science and Engineering, 124, 31-62 (1996).
2. M. D. Carelli, L. E. Conway, L. Oriani, B. Petrovic, C. V. Lombardi, M. E. Ricotti, A.C.O. Barroso, J. M. Collado, L. Cinotti, N. E. Todreas, D. Grgic, M. M. Moraes, R. D. Boroughs, H. Ninokata, D. T. Ingersoll, F. Oriolo, “The Design and Safety Features of the IRIS Reactor,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, 230, 151-167 (2004).
3. F. Franceschini, B. Petrovic, “Core Physics Analysis of 100% MOX Core in IRIS,” Annals of Nuclear Energy, 35, 1587-1597 (2008).
4. F. Franceschini, B. Petrovic, “Advanced Operational Strategy for the IRIS Reactor: Feasibility of Load Follow Through MSHIM,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, 238, 3240-3252 (2008).
5. B. Petrovic, M. Ricotti, S. Monti, N. Cavlina and H. Ninokata, “The Pioneering Role of IRIS in Resurgence of Small Modular Reactors (SMRs), Nuclear Technology, 178, 126-152 (2012).
6. B. Shi and B. Petrovic, “Calculating the Second Eigenpair in Criticality Calculations Using the Monte Carlo Method with Source Points Pairing as an Efficient Net-Weight (“Cancellation”) Algorithm,” Nuclear Science and Engineering, 172, 138-150 (2012).
7. P. Avigni, B. Petrovic, “Fuel Element and Full Core Thermal-Hydraulic Analysis of the AHTR for the Evaluation of the LOFC Transient, Annals of Nuclear Energy, 64, 499-510 (2014).
8. B. Petrovic, ”Integral Inherently Safe Light Water Reactor (I2S-LWR) Concept: Extending SMR Safety Features to Large Power Output,” Proc. 2014 Intl. Congress on Advances in Nuclear Power Plants (ICAPP 2014), Charlotte, NC, April 6-9, 2014, Paper 14311, pp. 78-85 (2014).
Leadership of scientific and technological projects:
• “Development of IRIS Reactor”, Westinghouse-led multinational project (Deputy Director 2002-2007)
• “Fuel and Core Design Options to Overcome the Heavy Metal Loading Limit and Improve Performance and Safety of Liquid Salt Cooled Reactor”, U.S. DOE funded project 2012-2015 (Lead PI)
• “Integral Inherently Safe Light Water reactor (I2S-LWR)”, U.S. DOE funded multi-institutional integrated project 2013-2016 (Lead PI)
• “Improvements in SMR Modular Construction through Supply Chain Optimization and Lessons Learned”, U.S. DOE funded project 2013-2016 (Co-PI)
• “Integrated Approach to Fluoride High Temperature Reactor (FHR) Technology”, U.S. DOE funded multi-institutional integrated project 2015-2018 (Co-PI)
Selected Achievements and Honors:
• Elected Fellow of the American Nuclear Society, 2012.
• Patents: Co-inventor European Patent No. EP1612808, “Nuclear Fuel Comprising and Actinide Nitride Comprising Isotopically Enriched Nitrogen,” 2006; Co-inventor U.S. Patent No. 7,151,815, “Nonintrusive Method for the Detection of Concealed Special Nuclear Material”, awarded Dec. 2006.
• Guest Editor: Nuclear Technology (July & August 2005); Guest Co-Editor: Progress in Nuclear Energy (Vol. 53, No. 6, 2011), Annals of Nuclear Energy (Vol. 100, Part 1, 2017)
• Technical Program Chair: Am. Nucl. Soc. Annual Mtg., Atlanta, GA, 2009; Am. Nucl. Soc. Mtg. Adv. Nucl. Fuel Mgmt IV, Hilton Head, SC, 2003
• Reviewer journals: Nuclear Science and Engineering, Nuclear Technology, Nuclear Engineering and Design, Annals of Nuclear Energy, Progress in Nuclear Energy, Radiation Measurements, Progress in Nuclear Science and Technology, Energy Conversion and Management, IEEE Trans. on Nuclear Science, Health Physics, Science and Technology of Nuclear Installations, Fizika B
• Over 40 invited lectures, including at MIT, UC Berkeley, University of Michigan, Virginia Tech, Penn State University, Politecnico di Milano, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Idaho National Laboratory, Westinghouse, GE-Hitachi.
• Signature award at the corporate level, the highest recognition of technical innovation and excellence in Westinghouse. (2006)
• Six “best paper” or “best poster” awards (ETAN 1980, ANS RPD 1993, ANS 1995, ANS 2008, ASTM 2011, ASTM 2017)